Welcoming You Back Safely
As we reopen our facilities, we're keeping our members' and staff's health and safety at the forefront. Therefore, we've made adjustments within our facilities and to our guidelines for use. While we were mandated to close quickly, we're reopening slowly and in phases.
The information below is subject to change at any time as new information and resources become available.
What to Expect
Effective Monday, November 16, an organization-wide mask policy will be implemented in response to the surge of COVID-19 cases in Iowa.
Return to Programming Guidelines
All YMCA Facilities
- Branches open to all YMCA of Greater Des Moines members only. Members under 14 years of age are required to have direct supervision by an adult member. No guests allowed at this time.
- An enhanced sanitation protocol involving frequent and thorough cleaning and disinfecting of surfaces and equipment throughout the facility.
- Limitations on the capacity of the building and individual workout areas, and strict social distancing guidelines in place.
- Staff trained on enhanced sanitation protocol, social distancing and personal hygiene requirements; daily health screenings before reporting to work.
- Personal protective equipment required for all staff.
- Members are required to wear face coverings while at the Y until further notice. Please see mask policy at the top of the page.
- Upon arriving, members must complete a brief health screening before being allowed to check into the facility.
- Wash or sanitize your hands upon entry, and frequently while you are in the facility.
- Observe any posted capacity limits and social distancing requirements.
- Wipe down equipment and weights before and after using them with the wipes provided. Staff with clean and disinfect multiple times daily and ensure it's done between each cardio equipment user.
- Limit your visit to 2 hours or less so others have a chance to work out.
- No outside food or drink allowed (except water).
- Towel service has been discontinued. Please bring your own towel from home.
- People over age 65 or those with underlying health conditions that put them at greater risk from COVID-19 should exercise extreme caution when using any public facility, including the Y.
Amenities Available with Limitations
- Cardio equipment – treadmills, ellipticals, cycles, rowing machines
- Weight machines
- Free weights
- Pools (Available at Indianola, Walnut Creek, Waukee & Wellmark Ys)
- In-person group fitness classes with socially-distanced and sanitized equipment
- Virtual classes (Online here)
- Racquetball courts
- Walking track
- Locker rooms
- Learn & Play childcare
- Common areas
- Pool (John R. Grubb Y)
Remember, if you're experiencing symptoms of illness or have been in close contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19, please do not come to the Y.