Hope starts with a home
The Graduate Program at the YMCA Supportive Housing Campus gives residents an opportunity to take the next step toward self-sufficiency by moving off campus with continued support.
When living at the YMCA Supportive Housing Campus, once-homeless residents build a strong foundation through secure housing, supportive services, and a caring community. After demonstrated success, residents can choose to join the graduate program and move into an apartment while continuing to work with a case manager.
A solution to our affordable housing crisis
On any given night, 800 people in central Iowa are living on the streets or in shelters. Meanwhile, central Iowa lacks 11,848 affordable homes for low-income individuals.
The Graduate Program offers a unique solution by providing wrap-around support as individuals move from living on campus to an apartment of their own. For every individual who moves off campus, another individual on the wait list can move into the Y and begin their journey.
Support the Graduate Program:
- HOUSING: If you provide affordable-rate apartments and would like to partner with our residents, please contact Katie Kamienski at Katie.Kamienski@dmymca.org
- HOUSEHOLD GOODS: Every resident who moves needs furniture, household goods, and cleaning supplies. Help give residents a welcoming home. Email Brooke Heldt at Brooke.Heldt@dmymca.org to donate.
- DONATIONS: Your gift to the Graduate Program will support residents in making this transition with continued case management and access to resources. Visit our give page to donate.
The YSHC Graduate Program is a one-of-a-kind program that will put Des Moines on the map for equitable living for all. Thank you to the following partners for making this program possible:
- American Family Insurance Dreams Foundation
- Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute
- Nationwide Foundation
- Polk County Housing Trust Fund
- Principal Foundation
- United Way of Central Iowa
- Wells Fargo
- Hubbell Realty
- Knapp Properties